Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Suicide


While I was thinking about how real Kanae Minato’s story was, I met my friend L again. As always, he looked grave and puzzled.

“Hey, man. What’s wrong with you this time?” I tapped on his shoulder, “Problem with your landlady again?”

“I suppose you’ve heard that much? Her cat died – hanged around its neck outside the window. She told everyone that that unfortunate creature killed itself!” L sighed.

“I know very little about this event I must say, but, as an onlooker, it seems to me quite impossible that the old pet would commit suicide – unless the verb was used in the passive voice!” I smiled.

“So, you prefer to believe my landlady used her own methods to do away with the cat?” My friend looked straight into my eyes and asked.

“Alas, what else could it be?” I was slightly uneasy to give the answer.

“My friend, if my landlady wants to get rid of that lovely animal, she had ample of time and dozens of opportunities to do it in decent and legal and justifiable and painless ways. The very fact that the pet lived to this age means that, however annoying it seemed to be time after time, the old woman preferred to keep it – so that fans of animal right have one fewer reason to protest.

“In that case, who hanged the unfortunate creature outside the window?” I was really puzzled.

No comments: