Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Scientist


That evening, I told what I learn from that meeting to L.

To my surprise, my cynical friend appeared grave to what I said.

“You know, the problem is not as simple as you think,” he explained, “I suppose you know why a faculty of medicine needs a whole lot of basic scientists and a strong school of basic medical science. They boost up the research – grants, high impact factor publications, and what not.”

“Alas, I know just too well.” I said, “It is way easier to get funding for a basic research than a clinical trial, and journals for laboratory studies usually have a higher impact factor than their clinical counterparts.”

“The problem is, basic medical science is a misnomer,” L went on, “What it means is advanced medical science.”

“Quite right,” I chuckled, “In fact, since most of these basic, or in reality advanced, scientists have no training in our basic medical science, such as gross anatomy and physiology, how can we expect them to teach our next-generation doctors?”

“No, you miss the point,” L became serious again, “Basic scientists are not not helping with the teaching we need. Many a time they are actively disrupting teaching of that kind.”

“Why?” I could not believe my ears.

No comments: