Monday, January 21, 2013

Amateur


Amateur

My recent leisure reading is Manatsu No Hoteishiki (真夏方程式) of Higashino Keigo (東野圭吾).

Believe it or not, this is the first story where I ever meet Yugawa Manabu (湯川學) – the physicist and amateur detective, nicknamed Galileo, under Keigo.

***************
The story is good. I shall not elaborate on the detail and spoil your appetite for reading it. To me, an interesting side-kick of this series is having a physicist as the detective – an idea akin to that of Baruch Spinoza, who suggested that the purest form of philosophy is mathematics. (In that case, the greatest philosopher in our history should be Bertrand Russell – a highly arguable conclusion.)

But, if I were going to write a detective fiction myself, I have an idea.

How about having an astrologist as the detective?

No comments: