Saturday, January 26, 2013

Employment


You may consider I was too outdated and there is no point to insist having a flesh-and-blood librarian. After all, our society is moving forward and we expect changes of this kind to happen in every aspect of our life.

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis.

Alas, that is certainly true – and, therefore, I am worried.

Let me put it simply: What would the original librarians become?

No, don’t get me wrong. I’m not asking a question about employment and deployment, which is easily resolved. Librarians may retire or find another job and not being replaced. You don’t have to fire anybody. But, the idea remains: fewer persons are needed to run this place in the long run. Once again, Homo sapiens loses in the competition against computer and technology. When the same change happens in the whole society, the unemployment goes up.

No comments: