Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Expensive


(The story continued.)

The messenger was certainly disappointed to have his mission unaccomplished. He went back to the Castle and reported what’s going on to the Count. A few days later, His Highness sent a more experienced messenger – who has a university degree on economics – to call upon the owner of the little house.

After the new messenger explained to the obsessive house owner what the offer was, the latter shook his head, “No, it’s not about money. What good is there for me to have all wealth on earth if I lose my identity and become just another occupant of one of your estates?”

“I agree the price is high to maintain a unique self nowadays. Nonetheless there is a price all the same. May I also remind you, it’s not only about giving up chances to acquire a good fortune, you have to continue to pay for it. Electricity, water supply, and so forth. As I said, it is expensive to have a personality, and it is meant only for rich people.”

“In that case, are you telling me to give up my own house and make myself rich – so that I can afford a unique house of my own later?”

No comments: