Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Performance


What actually happened to my portfolio during this time?

Let’s start with some basic figures: By the end of 2011, Hang Seng Index closed at 18434. Twelve months later, it becomes 22656 – rose by about 23%, with another 3% or so from dividend not counted.

And, if I did nothing with my portfolio in this period, the value would have increased by about 33%.

How about now? Well, to put it simply, with all the hassles, the actual return this year was 30%.

I would hardly call it successful.

PS. It is difficult to give you the exact figure of the performance because the size of the portfolio changed. To begin with I have regular savings added in. Moreover, I cut down quite a bit the percentage of free cash that I keep, from 20% one year ago to 10% now.

No comments: