Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Tough

I met a few most out-spoken classmates in the dinner, and it was inevitable to have our discussion touching on the recruitment of medical students.

“I agree it is slightly controversial to increase the proportion of non-JUPAS students. In my own opinion, it is not a bad idea. To say the least, it guarantees to a certain extend the quality of the recruited students. After all, the island medical school probably gets a better share of the good JUPAS or DSE students.” WL said. He sent his son to a boarding school in England some years ago.

“That may be true, but I’m slightly skeptical. Although non-JUPAS students may have very good academic performance, most of them come from affluent families and, because of the very nature of the non-JUPAS teaching, they are generally not as tough – which is a very important character of a good doctor.” TS said. His daughters are studying in a local international school.

“I’m afraid that’s not a problem only amongst non-JUPAS students,” NT said, “Secondary school children are, in general, less enduring nowadays. I believe it is the problem of our society rather than the JUPAS non-JUPAS system.”

No comments: