Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Educated

(Our discussion went on.)

"You don't agree, do you?" My wife asked.

"I'm afraid I do not. To begin with, all junior doctors are actually reasonably educated on every aspects of medicine and surgery, just that the current system prevents them from applying their knowledge - or, I dare say, from exercising their common sense."

"Dear, you are too cynical."
 
"Am I? Take your high finger prick glucose as an example. When I was a surgical house officer, I was allowed to take care of all those problems - not because I was a medical gold medalist, but because my consultant had the confidence that house officers had the capability, and he was willing to shoulder all responsibility for the consequence. Nowadays, on one hand the administrators say they encourage applying general medical knowledge. On the other, whenever troubles or complaints arise, all they would say is they have never prohibited frontline doctors from consulting experts of other specialties!"

No comments: