Thursday, August 6, 2009

AI-2

(The story continued.)

The old woman saw the worrying face of that doctor-in-training, and tried to be helpful, "I had an X-ray done when I was in the Emergency room. You can go see the film - they said that there's something hazy in my lung."

"Good idea !" The AI cheered.

But, in no time he became depressed again. "No, that doesn't help. There is no X-ray film as such in this hospital - all as digital image in the computer, which I do not have the access."

The old woman's face turned black, but out from her mouth came a gush of colourful language. (I can tell you verbatim when we have the chance.) Finally, the woman asked, "Well, well, I have enough. Can you just fix up those regular blood tests for me ? You can take blood, eh ?"

"Em ... I can take blood ..." the young man hesitated, "but we've got to wait for the house officer because I cannot print out the specimen form ... also in the computer ..."

A few more colourful sentences filled up the air, "Are you really supposed to take care of me ? Why don't they allow you to log on to the system and see my information ?"

"They said it is for the protection of your privacy ..." The final year student murmured.

(Author's note: I deliberately removed the colour from the language.) "Privacy of what ? You young man is allowed to ask me all sorts of embarrassing questions, feel my breasts, examine my private parts, and now you tell me you are not allowed to see my medical information in order to protect my privacy!?"

And the two were both speechless - doctor and patient alike.

No comments: