Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Monitor

On the very same morning that I visited the other side of the harbour, I had the computer monitor in my office changed.

The old one was the traditional CRT that was in use for 10 years (I bought it soon after I joined the university). In fact, I am apparently the last one in the department to use the old "fat" monitor. That's partly because of my psychological complex of using heavy instruments, but also for the simple reason that this time-honoured display is exceptionally durable and has a very good quality.

(I like it very much because it was just wide enough to show two A4 pages in parallel - so that I could easily do copy-and-paste from one document to another.)

But it has passed the prime of its life. In the recent months, the top bit of the monitor kept showing a twisted image. (Alas, anything and anyone that remained in the same position for too long would have their tops crooked. That's a rule of management.) I was forced to give it up; it is actually impossible now to get the necessary spare parts even if I want to have it repaired.

No comments: