Wednesday, August 5, 2009

AI

Many of you were fascinated with the happenings on 2nd July 2011 that I described some days ago (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/07/graduate.html). In fact, on that very morning, there was another little story in the same ward.

Here it goes.

**********************************

"Madam, I'm the doctor-in-training of this ward. What's your problem ?" The assistant intern was talking to a woman just admitted from the Emergency department.

"I have so many problems that I couldn't even finish in one sentence ..." The patient was breathing fast, "and my memory is no good. Even if I try to tell you everything, I would probably miss out some crucial details. Why don't you look up in the computer ? I have been followed in this hospital for decades."

"Em ..." The final year student hesitated, "I am not allowed to log on to the system and check your detail. Let's make it simple, what drugs are you taking ?"

"Do you seriously think I could tell you those names ?" The old woman tried to squeeze out the last bit of air from her lung, "Well, here they are ..." Out from the pocket she threw a dozen kind of tablets - all without a label.

"God, how could I know ?" The poor AI said to himself. He knew just too well there was a complete list of medication in the computer record. But that information was not within his reach.

(to be continued ...)

No comments: