Monday, August 10, 2009

Calligraphy

Vivian became very much interested in calligraphy recently.

The question that she put up several time to me was: Which mentor should she have ?

Well, I had a brief period of learning calligraphy during secondary school but I'm no expert. Forced to give some solid answer, I said, "For woman, I recommend Zhao Mengfu (趙孟頫)."

My wife looked suspicious, "How about man - say for example, if you are going to pick up the habit again ?"

"Chu Suiliang (
褚遂良) would be my cup of tea." I gave my well-prepared answer.

"How about Yan Zhenqing (
顏真卿) ?" My wife obviously did her homework.

I made a discriminating remark, "Oh, no. Yan was a loyal courtier, but his writings were as thick as his head."

PS. Although my brain understands very well that we should not judge someone's artistic (or scientific) achievement by his political stand or moral standard, as a traditional Chinese, my heart still holds the idea that handwriting does reflect one's personality - and possibly the time that he is living.

No comments: