Monday, August 24, 2009

Photo

Although I am not one of them, the library brings back to me much memory.

The first time I was here was almost 12 years ago, when I was back from Bristol for the New Year holiday, and paid a visit to the man who still had a moustache, who showed me the place. (My old friends would know why I visited him.)

This is also the room where I had my nephrology exit examination (alas, those were the days when we had the oral exit examination at the room next to the office of the chief examiner - the man who used to have a moustache), and also where MRCP organizers (well, that's me) used to meet every year to bid for scenarios (a joyful but childish game that the College decided to give up a few years back).

*****************************

Soon after I tried to appreciate the internal decoration of the library, something caught my eyes.

On one of the walls hanged seven photos. They are the previous chairpersons of their department: AJM, DT, RY, TK, SK, WK, and my mentor - from left to right.

Yes, SK was there - despite he was subsequently being invited to drink some famous coffee and was forced to step down by the moustache man.

And so is the moustache man himself - even though he came down after failing in another political game.

A people who could stand straight and face their history would prosper, I am confident.

No comments: