Monday, April 12, 2010

Ankle

While we were pondering on the use of HK$5000 during our lunch time discussion, it came to our attention that DH - our professor of respiratory medicine - sprained his ankle.

"It must be quite bad," one of my friend remarked, "He was immediately wheeled back to his office and had plaster put on."

"No wonder I did not hear from him," I said.

"No, you wouldn't. He was granted an urgent sick leave by the orthopedic surgeon."

"Really ?" I made a wicked smile, "I think he could still come back and work."

"How on earth !?" my friends all protested, "He needs to stay on a wheelchair and would not be able to do ward round or go to the clinic - not to say doing bronchoscopy !"

"But, if on one hand we declare someone who has to stay on a wheelchair for life could fulfill the duty of a doctor, why do we accept another physician, a fully trained one who could not walk for a couple of weeks, not suitable for clinical duty ?"

PS. For an entirely logical argument, the ankle of my poor friend obviously hurts so much that he could not work. Nonetheless, for our discussion, that's quite beyond the point.

No comments: