Monday, April 5, 2010

Technology

(My examination discussion with VW continued.)

"Although the quality of medical profession is declining, I am still optimistic to the standard of care by the time we get old." My friend said.

"Really ... ?" I hinted that I disagreed - obviously not to the first half of his comment.

"Oh, technology is ever advancing. It seems realistic to expect in 10 or 20 years we could have sophisticated artificial intelligence to make medical decisions, unbelievable devices for investigations, and robots and other automatic mechanics to do all surgical procedures."

"You may be right with the facts. Alas, once again, we two see the same thing but arrive at a different conclusion !" I could not help smiling.

"Well ?" It was his turn to look puzzled.

"To begin with, medical care involves person-to-person contact. However good the technology is, the quality of care hinges on how good the doctors are."

"I would take that," my friend nodded, "and ... ?"

"And, more importantly, advance in technology means that we could do away with simple procedures. The inevitable result is junior doctors have few things for their practice, and, therefore, they would have more difficulty to master the difficult techniques !"

1 comment:

TW said...

Totally agree with Szeto. I would say, knowledge/technology/evidence-based are just the basic ingredients, and could only made up to 30 of good medicine.

What I get old and sick, I won't worry about the technology part. I just worry the doctor cannot make me feel well and hopeful, because I may have known too well about the prognosis and complications, and the truth.