Friday, April 2, 2010

Micro

On that very evening of the Third Estate meeting, I dined with KB and AC, two friends of mine who are laboratory scientists.

Our discussion inevitably fell to some recent changes in the management level.

KB sighed, "You know, it is really difficult to work for someone who insists on knowing and working on every detail themselves."

I made an inviting grunt - knowing perfectly well whom she was referring to. With due respect, the classical model from our history was the highly praised Zhuge Liang (諸葛亮).

Alas, you may think the prime minister of Shu Han (蜀漢) was a genius. Well, he might be, but he was too hardworking to be a good leader. As mentioned in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms (三國演義), how could a system sustain if the CEO of a government has to work on every case that needs a punishment of caning for 20 strokes (罰二十以上皆親覽) ?

PS. The major problem is not that the hardworking genius would inevitably die, but that he cultivated a body of dependent officials, so that, after his death, no one could take up the post.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have three words on my wall which are to remind me what kind of research gets published in high impact journals - Novel, Relevant, and Accurate. - These three words could aptly apply to your blog.

Unknown said...

I have three words on my wall that reminds me of what kind of research will get published in high impact factor journals - Novel, Accurate, Relevant. I think these three words most aptly describe your blog.