Saturday, September 4, 2010

Inflation

While I was appreciating our university's staff newsletter, my friend L caught me by surprise.

"Hey! What are you reading there?" cried he.

"Oh, nothing," I tried to be evasive, "Just some record of our staff movement."

"That could hardly be interesting," my friend nodded, "But why do you seem unable to move your eyes away from it? Ah, by the way, the newsletter is getting thicker recently."

"Indeed," I agreed, "That's because our university is really prospering and continues to recruit excellent academic staff. In fact, there are countless distinguished people becoming honorary professors and centre directors and institution presidents and what not. It feels great for a humble man like me to work in the same place with so many remarkable people !"

"Is that really what you feel ?" L was really my friend.

"Well, yes," I had to confess, "Nonetheless, at the same time, I also feel like an ordinary citizen in Seychelles, Mongolia, or Venezuela, where the inflation rates are astronomical. The currency on the market grows by an increasing number of zeros, while the amount of money in my purse remains stagnant."

No comments: