Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Prohibit

While we were gowning up to do some surgical procedure, my colleague BK asked, "Are you still distributing houseman instructions and protocols for interns rotating to our team?"

I said, "Yes, I suppose. It's just a few sheets of paper that explain what to do for common clinical admissions. K is responsible for it whenever we have a new house officer. What's up?"

"I just want to make sure we add a line to the instruction and forbid new interns from doing the same thing that I saw a moment ago," she sighed, "You know, I'm just back from the ward and had some good words with two gold medalists."

"Eh ?" after knowing BK for nearly ten years, I was slightly incredulous how good the words she could have used.

"Well, I just happened to find our gold medalist house officer doing XXX," she said. (The exact doing is irrelevant. Suffice to say it was something unconventional, and, using the description of Humphrey Appleby, may not always have entirely insignificant consequence.) "The procedure was ordered by a gold medalist medical officer, who happens to be the on-call today, and blindly followed by our distinguished intern." BK went on.

"I agree the order was courageous and innovative, and, despite what's going on in the financial market, the university may be suffering from very bad depreciation of expensive metals," I tried to sooth my friend, "Nonetheless I do not agree to amend our instruction."

Why ?

No comments: