Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Notes

Euterpe was about to start her first year of kindergarten. On the day before the term actually began, I took a few hours off and attended the briefing session in her school.

I was there a few times since my daughter applied for it. Arrived slightly early, I took a short talk and tried to have a glimpse of the whereabouts.

The briefing started exactly on time. According to the agenda, it should be a two-hour presentation. I must confess before I arrived, I could hardly imagine what topic could take that long. (Of course my friend LS warned me that much; just a few days ago, she attended the briefing session for her son - and it took four hours!)

But, yes, there was more than enough material. I actually got a few handouts, but there were much more material that was covered - plan of the year, preparation of the school bag, how to apply a leave, a tour to the classroom, and countless of others. With my basic instinct as a student, in no time I took out my Moleskine and began to take notes.

After a few minutes, half of the parents in the hall wrote furiously on whatever paper they could get hold of. Some moment later, one of the teacher realized what's going on, and she said, "These are all important and you really should take notes. Who does not have pen and paper ? Just raise your hand; I shall give you some."

Without a second word, the other half of the parents all put their hands at once, as high up as possible.

PS. Although I said instinct as a student, in fact I hardly take any lecture notes ever since I entered the medical school. (Yes, I often make notes from textbooks, but not lectures.) In a sense kindergarten study is more trying than university - at least for the parents.

1 comment:

JW said...

We were lucky as my daughter's kindergarten does not follow the crowds.