Thursday, September 16, 2010

Time

Met TM, a young energetic colleague of mine, during lunch.

"You're a bit late. Are there many cases in the clinic?" I asked.

"Not really," my friend sighed, "But, you know, every one of us were using thrice as much of the time to see each patient."

I could not believe my ears, "How could that happen?"

"That's because of all these recent happenings of prescription error!" He was slightly hot, "Now, we check every single prescription - and there could easily be a dozen items - in front of the patient."

"Could that really improve patient care and safety?" I was slightly incredulous.

"Of course not," LS interjected from the other side of the table, "It improves our safety."

"I think it is also for our patients' well being," I smiled, "That's why we have to pay all our attention to check the drug. Next time, when I see my patient in the clinic, I will ask them to shut up so that my attention would not be diverted to their nitty-gritty complaint."

No comments: