Tuesday, December 21, 2010

1984

On the next day, I delivered the medical grand round.

It used to be a tradition of the department to put up some quiz in the grand round just before Christmas. Early this year, my friend JW, who is responsible for organizing the problem, asked me to take this up.

**********************

The talk was smooth. My only disappointment was not being able to give out the prize. Well, to begin with, I could not think of a workable way to see who from the audience score the highest. I must say that's probably a subconscious plan of mine.

You know what. As usual, I bought a book as the prize. This year, my pick was Nineteen Eighty-Four. (It was Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything last year.) Unlike my previous choices, I have never read this masterpiece of George Orwell, and I have all the intention to keep this book for myself.

Maybe I shall be more generous next time.

No comments: