Monday, December 6, 2010

Blind

Dine with a group of senior physicians.

This is the first time I dine with the man from Pluto since he moves outside the solar system.

There weren't many serious discussion, just some little old funny stories to share, and the table enjoyed an excellent evening of nostalgia.

Here is an interesting one recollected by a previous president of our college, encountered when he was a medical student:

*******************

(In the out-patient ophthalmology clinic.)

Doctor (after examining the patient, who was an aged woman): You come too late. Now you are totally blind and we can do nothing. You should really consult a doctor earlier.

Patient: I did. In fact I was seen in the TW hospital. It was that unutterable little jackanapes of a foreigner doctor who ill-treated my eye and made me blind ... (a burst of three-word Chinese).

Doctor: Why! Can't you recognize me? I am that foreign doctor! What the hell ... (and he returned a series of four-letter words).

And our president-to-be had a good dose of education on spicy colourful explicit vocabulary.

No comments: