Sunday, December 26, 2010

Naming

Maybe I should not blame our man from Pluto that much. After all, the star was named after him because a fan of him made the nomination. I wonder if our VC actually has the right to refuse.

To say the least, it is better than donating a huge sum of money and ask for a building named after himself.

(Well, I am all happy to have the billionaire donating a gigantic sum and have a building named after his father. That's old fashioned, I know.)

Alas, and it is obviously a thousand times better than donating a tiny amount of money (for example, just to cover the desks and chairs) and ask for the same right of naming - not to say to have a contract signed in order to ensure his name is put outside the building in a font big enough to allow people a mile away to see it, and to have spot lights shinning on it so that the name could still be seen in the dark or in a foggy weather.

All these sophisticated calculation would only be mastered by someone who, as pointed out by our white-hair surgeon in the clinical skill laboratory, professes in doing summation and multiplication.

PS. If I were to have the money, maybe I should donate a sum and have another building next to that named after that billionaire.

I shall name it after, say, my Indonesian maid - to thank her for taking care of my princess.

No comments: