Thursday, December 2, 2010

Apathetic

You may ask: Which suggestion is more likely (or, more common) for our students?

I have no idea. To begin with, I believe most of our students are intelligent. (After all, they rise to the top.) It seems reasonable to assume they could see the benefit of learning from real patients.

In that case, they are apathetic.

And this is exactly the worrying phenomenon as pointed out in Kong Kid (港孩) by Wong Ming Kit, which I briefly discussed previously (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2010/08/child.html).

****************************

Around the same time, I had the rare opportunity to lunch with my friend JW.

"I am more involved in the college activity of the university recently, and it is really eye-opening," my friend said, "You know what, the university has now some 20% of students coming from the mainland, and they're just different from the local ones. When we hold gathering between students and teachers, or have a talk from outside speakers, most of the delegates are mainland students - and they are eager to ask questions. In contrast, local students hardly turn up - they are just not interested."

That's worrying, I agree.

1 comment:

JW said...

I'm honored to have my name appeared on two of my most respectable friends' blogs on the same day, talking about the same topic (http://vwswong.blogspot.com/2010/12/hunger.html). Yes. This is really worrisome.