Saturday, December 11, 2010

Competition

(My discussion with the young professor of hepatology continued.)

"But, when I think over the issue again, it remains incredulous," VW said, "I suppose you agree, we put down the apathetic attitude to the excessive supply of opportunity, as well as the culture of spoon-feeding and private tutorial."

"Quite right," I nodded.

"In that case, the situation should be even worse in Taiwan and Japan; both places are well known of their inhumane system of public examination. However, children from these places are as active as you think - they would never miss an opportunity to learn." My friend pointed out.

For a moment I wished to say youngsters in Japan and Taiwan have their own problems - if you ever watch the movie Confession (告白) of Takako Matsu (松隆子).

But I remained silent; there was certainly much truth in my friend's observation.

And, all of a sudden, an idea went across my mind, "Maybe what is emphasized is different. Although students in Taiwan and Japan have much private tutorial, children have a lot of stress because they know very well the competition is fierce - and their culture is rather explicit about that. In contrast, our society does not only promote spoon feeding, we try very hard to reduce the stress and competition. Who would work hard in that situation?"

1 comment:

TW said...

I just heard a primary school headmaster complained to me that one of the parent threatened to find a lawyer to take action if the school couldn't provide a good solution to the incident that his son is being ''hit" by the boy next to him ( actually the two boys were in a fight). The headmaster needs to take Valium from time to time due to stress from work.