Friday, October 21, 2011

Borders

My trip to Chicago was entirely business. Thank goodness I arrived a few hours before the meeting started, and I took the opportunity to have a short walk.

After a while, I found a familiar name on the wall of a tall building around the corner.

It was Borders.

For those who'd not been to America, Borders was one of the largest retail bookstores. For a moment I was confused, because it is my usual practice to check for bookstores nearby my hotel every time I go for an overseas conference, and I could not remember I found Borders in this place.

Naturally I moved forward, and, before I tried to push the door and entered, I found that the shop was empty.

Why, I suddenly remembered. Borders filed for Chapter 11 earlier this year, and all stores were closed down two months ago.

Right. It has lost its business to information technology - not Steve Jobs this time, but Amazon and other on-line bookstores.

I kept reflecting this unexpected encounter on my way back the hotel, and, all of a sudden, a sense of coldness passed through my back.

Let me explain tomorrow.

No comments: