Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chicago

Shortly after I held the birthday banquet of my mother, I went to Chicago for a meeting.

This was the second time I came to this famous capital of economics, and I must say my first experience was far from satisfactory:

****************************

It was probably 1999 (I did not check with my written diary, but i t was shortly after I joined the university), when I was flying back from Buenos Aires to Hong Kong after an international conference. There was a transit of 7 or 8 hours in Chicago, and, naturally, I took the opportunity and went for a walk (under the pressure and leadership of WK, a highly respected consultant from another hospital).

Alas, to put it simply, the weather was horrible. It was mid-April but the atmosphere was freezing, and we obviously did not prepare for this because, in Argentina, summer was just over.

And, the most annoying bit was, the entire city was, by coincidence, holding a kind of flower show - because the weather was so good!

PS. That was, of course, my prejudice. The weather was remarkably warm and comfortable this time, and I had the opportunity to appreciate this beautiful city. There was, unfortunately, a jungle of mortgage bankers in my hotel holding a conference, and, you see, inevitably, another crowd protesting over the other side of the street.

They should actually go to Little Rock, in my opinion.

No comments: