Monday, October 31, 2011

Difference

On my way home after the training day, I was still reflecting my conversation with CS. All of a sudden, a recent discussion with TW flashed through my mind.

It took place on the recent annual scientific meeting of our society:

***********************

"You know, there's a huge difference between physicians and surgeons in the public hospital," TW began.

"Which aspect are you referring to?" To be honest, I was not sure what she meant.

"Just imagine, if you are a senior surgeon in a government hospital and you are tired of what you are doing, the temptation of joining the private market is huge: You either earn twice as much if you work equally hard, or you have the same earning but are just working half-time," my friend explained, "And, therefore, they do move, creating vacancies for the juniors to be promoted. In short, the system is relatively healthy because most of them sees a future."

"Quite right." I nodded.

"In contrast, senior physicians are a different story." She went on, "They don't have to do much clinical job under the government's umbrella. If they become private physicians and keep the same workload, their income would probably be the same as a medical officer. In contrast, the middle grade physicians - I mean the new fellows - have all the incentive to go for private, because they are the most hardworking group. If they keep up with that workload in the private, they would have a consultant paid."

"The outcome is obvious: A fault - or a gap - forms inevitably. Very senior physicians are high up and stagnant, and they only have very junior trainees all the time," I was forced to agree.

No comments: