Thursday, October 27, 2011

Host

It proved to be an exceptionally busy weekend. In the next morning, I took the earliest flight to come back from that crooked universe, and, before lunch, I was safe in the function room of a five-star hotel in Kowloon.

It was the annual scientific meeting of our society.

The event was so so. (I needed to attend because CM, one of the invited overseas speakers, was our research collaborator.) In that evening, I went to Aberdeen for yet another meeting: It was the briefing session for the membership examination of the College in the coming week. I went there to represent the hospital, which was going to be one of the host centers.

You may ask: Isn't it a meeting for the examiners (and I am not)? True, but, the sobering fact is, amongst the 6 legitimate examiners within the department, none of them came for the briefing - and none actually did the examination held in our hospital.

And, ironically, every time when we hold the department board meeting, we always say the college examination is a big thing. "We should do this" and "we should do that". In this very Sunday evening, I suddenly had a déjà vu feeling of reading Gongsun Long (公孫龍), who claimed that a white horse is not a horse (白馬非馬).

Very true, because I am not one of the we either.

No comments: