Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Friends


(My conversation with L continued.)

“I believe I could understand the bitter feeling,” I said quietly.

“No, you don’t – and you couldn’t,” L interrupted, “H was slightly upset for not being invited, but he was totally disappointed for an entirely different reason.”

“Well…?”

“His mother invited her ex-husband.”

“That’s not too bad, I think?”

“Maybe not, I agree. But, how about asking the old man to sit next to the washroom in the banquet?”

“Oh…ah… how could that happen?” I could not believe my ears.

“Well, more than that.” My friend continued, “You must remember the old woman is, as we all believe, very rich. In reality all her money comes from those men whom she makes friend with – you know what I mean. And, while she did not ask her children to come to her birthday party, she invited all her – em – important friends – to come and, as she said, to thank for their contribution over the years.”

“Em… that’s…” I paused for a moment to choose the right word, “pragmatic. But, I suppose that’s the little price to pay if you need to survive and prosper?”

“My friend, as you always say, I don’t think I need to have an opinion on this matter.” L went on, “Nonetheless, the old sayings of a previous American president – I cannot remember who – keeps echoing in my mind: If we do not stand for something, why do we want to be elected? In this case, I must say, for any living soul on earth, if you are not prospering for something, why do you want to prosper at all?”

“Well, yes, you have a point there. I suspect you may make your point better if you used the word survive instead of prosper.” I was suddenly calm, “Nonetheless, we may have to mind our own business, and make sure our alma mater is not going to do the same!”

No comments: