Monday, February 20, 2012

Mengfu

While I was considering how to encourage Euterpe and Adler to learn more Chinese, Vivian found a bargain item in a local bookstore.

It was Zhao Mengfu's (趙孟頫) handwritten version of the Lotus Sutra (妙法蓮華經).

Without a second thought, my wife bought it right the way. It was supposed to be a gift for my mother - who has some experience in both calligraphy and Buddhism. Of course, at the end of the day, as you may expect, I was the one who studied the entire volume with deep interest.

When I finished with my perusal with satisfaction - like a cat finished with a plate of milk, my eyes were apparently beaming. Vivian asked, half jokingly, "Well, what do you make out of this?"

"Oh! It's entirely enjoyable. As I always say, if you wishes to learn calligraphy, you should go for Zhao Mengfu!" I said.

"Yes, you've said that before," my wife said, referring to another discussion between us some time ago (see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/08/calligraphy.html), and then she went on, "But I think you have something more to say."

"Em... yes," I hesitated a bit, "While I was reading this, I actually came to realize Zhao Mengfu's handwriting is an excellent illustration of what good medical practice means nowadays."

No comments: