Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Step-father


Met my friend L while I was about to off work. Apparently he had just finished with a conversation over his mobile phone.

“Hey, what’s up?” I tapped on his shoulder.

“Nothing really serious. You know, I was just listening to H re-telling his story.”

“What’s that all about?” I knew who H was – an old classmate of us. A pleasant boy. Well, all I could remember was he had a rich mother.

“As an outsider, it’s quite a funny story,” my friend explained, “You know, H’s mother was celebrating her 100th birthday last month, and there was a gorgeous party for it in a 6-star hotel.”

“Our friend must be very happy,” I made an unfortunately careless remark.

“Alas, he was not invited.” L pursed his lips.

“How could that be?”

“It’s a long story. To begin with, you know, H does not get along very well with his mother’s husband…” My friend murmured.

“Oh…you mean… his step-father?” My mouth was wide open.

“I suspect the term I used to describe their relationship is more close to the fact.”

Somehow I hallucinated my friend giggled.

No comments: