Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Ask


"Did you ask KY a lot of questions when she was working with you?" Vivian asked me during a casual conversation. KY is a classmate of my wife and has been working in my unit for some time.

"No, not really. You know, I am not in the habit of asking trainee questions," I said slowly, "In fact, JW repeatedly reminds me to ask more questions - during ward round and clinical practice and what not. He is right; that is, whether I like it or not, part of my duty."

"So, are you taking that advise? The scope of medicine is so wide that I don't think you have any problem of putting up questions!"

"I try my best. The reality is I try to ask my trainees one question each day. Alas, I must say that's not a very efficient way to teach or to learn."

1 comment:

JW said...

Isn't there a course known as "Communication skills" in their early years?