Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Coolie


While I was feeling sorry for a putrefying language, I met a few colleagues during lunch.

One of them brought me some news, "You know, a female student burst into tears after scolded by TL in the clinic."

TL is our diamond neurologist, gentle yet stern, famous for his bedside skill. Although no detail was mentioned, our final year students were hibernating for their examination, and my friend must be talking about one of the few aggressive third-year students who use the spare time during their summer project and do voluntary attachment to a small elite of teachers - and TL is top on the list.

"What happened?" I asked.

"I hear it from the clinic nurses. The group students were clerking new referrals for TL, and that girl asked the patient what he did for a living. The patient, who was an old man, replied coolie (苦力) - and the young girl had no idea what coolie is!"

"Alas, many of our next-generation students have limited capability of understanding Chinese," I smiled, "But I suppose TL should just laugh at them?"

"The problem is, the female student retorted in an accusing tone to the patient and said I don't understand your language."

"Alas, in that case TL is absolutely right." I said, "It has nothing to do with language - it's a matter of attitude!"

No comments: