Sunday, April 13, 2014

Itebana

My recent leisure reading is Itebana (凍花) by Kazu Saiki (斉木香津).

This is a crime fiction about three sisters. In short, the eldest sister killed the second one, and, as the story evolves, the youngest found out what happened and why. The element of detection is close to nothing and, to me, the story lacks the zest - or the twisty turn that makes it stands out. While thumbing through the pages, my mind kept thinking what plot Agatha Christie would use if she were telling the same story.

Nonetheless, the eldest sister does impress me, for she has the extraordinary habit of writing her blog as well as a private diary. As Ayako Miura (三浦綾子) said, a person who has continued to write diary (or blog, I dare say) for 5 years must be successful in some aspect of their life, and it certainly takes twice as much effort and determination to have both.

Such a person would never kill another one - at least not without careful planning.

No comments: