Sunday, April 27, 2014

Simple

You may find it surprising to call making pizza a whole-day game.

Well, it is not – unless you are making this traditional Italian dish with children.

It goes like this: After breakfast and some morning routines (for example, practising piano), I brought my princesses to a supermarket to buy the ingredient. In addition to having great fun, it is an excellent opportunity to show them different kinds of cheese, sausages, vegetables, and herbs. I also taught Euterpe how to compare price and so forth. Once you also consider the time for discussing what type of candy to buy and lining up to pay, a whole morning is just sufficient.

And, after a quick lunch, the girls went for a nap. I took the chance to unpack the flour and moisten the yeast. (Believe it or not, I also took the time and reviewed a  grant application for the Bureau.) When they woke up, we made the dough together. (For obvious reasons, the girls added the yeast and water to the flour, and I did the messy job of mixing.) While we were waiting for the dough to raise, we had a quick afternoon tea. Then, alas, it came the climax: I rolled out the pizza dough and my princessess added the topping as they liked. (It turns out that parmesan cheese is their favorite – they were trying to eat it that and there!) After all these, when we took the final product out of the oven, it was almost dinner time.

Happiness could be very simple.

No, happiness is usually very simple.

No comments: