Thursday, April 2, 2009

BBC

One thing that I often do when I am alone in my office is listening to BBC Radio 4.

My favourite program is the Parliament debate on Saturday morning. Being a fan of James Hacker, the real life version is no less theatrical - and definitely more educational.

I cultivate the habit when I lived in Bristol, as I had no TV or Internet in my room. It was BBC Radio 2, the music and entertainment channel, that I used to listen, but it is of course easier to focus on your work by listening to talking programs.

And no doubt the English culture is well promoted all around the world by the BBC. In the long run, it is more important to promote the culture of a great country by keep doing small things well, rather than doing a great job one day a year.

PS. I still remember the first song that came up from the radio when I arrived at Bristol was Yesterday of The Beatles, and, in the next minute I heard the first news report that I had in England - it was the death of Princess Diana. For a while, I suspected either my English was so poor that I misheard the message, or it was a joke with distinctly bad taste.

And the rest is history.

No comments: