Monday, April 27, 2009

Motive

During a casual discussion, AL, who is studying for her law degree, said that she was long to see the court verdict and detailed rationale on blocking of PCCW buyout by the Court of Appeal.

I must say I am not that interested.

No, I am interested in the event - as a lesson on financial tactics to say the least.

I am no fans of the little superman, and there are reasons to believe some of the transactions during that critical period appeared suspicious. But I could immediately tell the judges were probably not in their right mind as soon as I heard them questioning on the real motive of the buyout proposal.

Jove, who could tell and prove what the motive is for anything ? (Alas, in this case, probably we can all guess. Besides money, what else could be the motive of a business decision ?)

And, if our society has regressed to a state of deciding whether someone is guilty (or banning their action) according to their motive, the next thing we face would be The Ordinance of Silent Curses (腹誹) - as we had in the Han (漢) dynasty.

That's the road to serfdom.

PS. If I were the defending side for our Richard, I would declare his motive was a Freudian one: He just wanted to prove his exceptional financial skill to his billionaire father.

For once, I think I speak the truth.

PPS. Just this afternoon, CB sighed to me, saying that many of our junior colleagues wrote their medical report with too much emotion. Well, what do we expect when our experts in legal procedure behave in the same way ?

2 comments:

EW said...

isnt that an house-keeping issue? exclamation marks should be banned in case notes!!!! (here you go). "Adament" instead of "claim", and "decline" instead of "refuse". For one our nobel department on ground floor has a list of such rules from prof A on writing reports.

Unknown said...

Richard could also argue on the ground that the act of the judges was "ultra vires"..they had taken some irrelevant matters into considerstation when delivered the verdict~~but the question we always ask is: what are the really relevant matters?