Saturday, April 18, 2009

Revolution

Although I am not sure what we - or I - should do, but I am quite sure what not to do.

We should try not to have another revolution.

(It seems a contradiction to my usual self ? Not really. I'm unacceptably traditional and am never fond of any drastic change.)

The eternal problem is not solved by having an entirely new set of rule. Yes, it is easy to bring together an enthusiastic crowd and tear down the wall. We were all there and dreamed of a new flawless system (or society, if you like) from Utopia. Seduced and hypnotized, we came to believe all we need is to do away with the old school, and new equals good.

And it is tempting to give up the new system (which, unfortunately, does not take very long) when we come to realize it is not perfect. We pretend we have nothing to do with the problems, and infuse our energy to the next revolution - for yet another newer system.

Go read Sisyphus of Albert Camus.

1 comment:

JW said...

Frankly speaking, the old and new curriculum mean no difference to me and therefore I have been silent on the debates. In the old curriculum, we were left idle in 80% of time. In the new curriculum, the students are spoon-fed in 80% of time. Both are equally useless. As a mediocre student like me, the things that I can still remember and find it timeless nowadays are the experience and wisdom that I could not find from the textbooks. And this remains my core value of teaching, which is independent of any form of curriculum.