Sunday, June 13, 2010

Police

Met my friend L recently and had a brief chat. (For my relation with L, see http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2010/01/landlady.html)

"How's your landlady recently ?" I asked.

"Nothing new - she keeps making the same kind of news. You know, she treats her son so badly that I have seriously thought of asking help from the police living at the other side of the street ..." my friend said.

"Indeed ...?" I saw his hesitancy.

"Well, I did not. To be frank, I'm not as fond of him as I was a couple of years ago."

"Why ? I know this neighbour of yours. He seems a good lot and did help out people in need." I said.

"You know, he is heavily in debt." L whispered.

"That's no news." I wasn't moved.

"He's mixed up with the gangsters who attack the flotilla recently." He added.

"Em ..." I knew the fact, but did not ever take it seriously; I began to feel uneasy.

"And, when one of his tenants - an entirely respectable old woman - commented that he should not support the gangsters, he beat her up badly so as to keep her mouth shut !" Checkmate.

I was speechless. As George Orwell said, I look at the police and the landlady, and find it difficult to tell which is which.

No comments: