Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ethics

Shortly after my discussion with LS, I went to my division round. In the middle of it, my friend KM tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "Who set the question of medical ethics for the final examination this year?"

I was surprise, "No idea. In fact I am not aware of anyone in our department who has an interest in setting up this kind of question."

After the round, I asked Maureen, our department secretary, to show me the written paper of this year. In fact, I glimpsed it through some days ago, and this time I just wished to confirm again - There was no question on medical ethics.

I wrote to KM and told him so.

In no time he replied, "It's all in the Facebook."

The question goes like this: Define utilitarianism, Kantianism, and Virtue ethics, and explain how each of the above school of thought can be applied into the following clinical example...

I was horrified and wrote back to my friend, "But, today is the surgical paper!"

5 comments:

KM Chow said...

Who in his right mind would put up questions like these?
Oh my, should I give my daughter Jasmine a lecture on orbitofrontal cortex in order to teach her emotional intelligence?

Unknown said...

What is in the mind of our surgical colleague?????

JW said...

I suddenly realized that I am an idiot in medical ethics!!

Slow runner said...

The question was not set by a surgeon...... although it appeared in the surgical essay paper. PL

Slow runner said...

The question was endorsed by a surgeon but was not really set up by a surgeon...... Looking at the students' performance, I understand I have made a huge mistake.
PL