Sunday, May 8, 2011

Perfect

In the next day after I met WY, I attended the research day of my department.

The running was smooth under the organization of PS (although could hardly be regarded as exciting - which may not be something we want after all). To me, the only remarkable - in its literal sense - part was the slightly overrun plenary talk by our chairman.

Like all lectures that overrun, the message was simple: There is nothing perfect in the world - more so in the field of medical research.

The implication is obvious: One should never try to repeat a (laboratory) experiment until the result is water-proof, or to struggle with statistical analysis until every bit of the subgroup analysis agrees with each other, or to revise the manuscript until all details have been described and there is absolutely no misspelling and grammatical error.

(I have a particularly strong feeling to the last point: Neither William Shakespeare nor Winston Churchill committed no mistake in grammar, and the first edition of The Wealth of Nations - arguably the best academic publication in the field of social science - was full of problematic wordings and hiccups in spelling.)

After all, if the god did try to make a perfect world, it would not have taken only 6 days - and I am sure the product would not be you or me.

No comments: