Monday, May 16, 2011

Nothing

Shortly after our discussion on Fantasia and The Sorcerer's Apprentice, on our way back home, Vivian asked for my opinion of the quality of our graduates in the recent years.

“You know, the house officers nowadays just appear different from those brought up by the old school,” my wife sighed.

“Of course, because they are now educated by the new curriculum,” I said, “The original idea was to ease off the burden of hardcore book work so that students could divert their energy to more practical aspects of clinical medicine. But, it just doesn't work out as such. Our students do read much less textbooks, but, the unexplainable thing is, they are not less stressful or any more leisured to spend their time in the ward !”

“I suppose when they entered the medical school, they were the crème de la crème? In other words, it is you people who make them end up in this state of neither here nor there.” My wife pointed out coldly. I sudden found her sounded like the shoemaker in Hermann Hesse’s Beneath the Wheel.

“Quite right. In fact most of the students are bright enough to have minimal teaching,” I was forced to agree, “In fact, when we were medical students, our professors of anatomy and physiology each only taught us one word when the year started – Snell and Guyton respectively.”

“Isn’t it possible to have someone taking up the position and rectify all these?” My wife asked.

“Oh, no, thanks.” I put up a bitter smile, “No revolution again, please. Just like what I believe in the ruling of our city, the person responsible for the curriculum could only be successful if he intends to do nothing !”

No comments: