Friday, May 6, 2011

Long

I had a long and busy day after the meeting with KL. In that evening there was an invited lecture by our Society somewhere in Kowloon, but I decided to skip that and when home early to see to the homework of Euterpe.

The next morning, I asked BK and FP how they found the talk.

And, they both sighed.

FP said, "The speaker was gorgeous. His message could be finished in five minutes but he took nearly an hour to finish with the talk. In fact, he was so verbose that we could not have dinner long after 9 PM."

"Thank goodness I didn't go - saving me the opportunity to exercise my spicy and colourful vocabulary," I smiled. (A vivid incidence of a similar kind could be found in http://ccszeto.blogspot.com/2009/12/powerpoint.html)

Not only is a good speaker always keep the time well, but a real expert - even though he may not be good at presentation - should know how to summarize his work in a succinct manner.

For example, as to the question What man should or should not do, Georg Hegel answered in several thousands of pages - while the source of light simply gave Moses the Ten Commandments.

PS. Anyone who believe they could understand more than three lines of Hegel's writing should see a psychiatrist - it is delusional disorder until proven otherwise.

No comments: