Thursday, May 12, 2011

Legacy

While I was thinking of those innovative medical degrees, a breaking news came up in my iPhone.

Osama bin Laden was dead.

You may ask what I was thinking of.

None, except the story of Sisyphus came through my mind, and I'm sure the Americans, or, actually, all man in collection, now have their stone on the top of the hill.

That's not only because there would certainly be successor (alas, maybe I should use plural) in Al Qaeda, and revenge of one kind or another is almost inevitable. More importantly, the pioneer of terrorism left a horrifying legacy: By 911, he set the example of starting a war - in an unconventional manner - against a superpower that seems unbeatable. For sure, there would be no short of adversaries, not necessarily from middle East but possibly every corner on earth, all hidden and waiting for a prime moment to give Uncle Sam a surprise punch on his face.

And, the worry is not only for the Americans. It applies equally well to all countries.

That is, in fact, a variation of the broken windows theory in criminology.

No comments: