Sunday, May 15, 2011

Magic

(Cont'd)

For those not familiar with the little story The Sorcerer's Apprentice, it goes like this: Mickey Mouse was the apprentice of a sorcerer of mysterious power; while his master was away, this little servant attempts some of the magic tricks without knowing how to control them. The result was predictably catastrophic.

And I told my wife, "I see Chris Patten or the old colonial government the sorcerer, who run the city in a brilliant order, apparently by some black magic - free market or positive non-interventionism or whatever. Our SAR government is now for certain the little apprentice, who tries the same trick and, without knowing how the magic actually works, ends up in a chaos !"

Vivian just smiled. I could hear the comment You are too cynical from her throat.

"The worst bit is," I continued to murmur, "The little students of ours is a class lower than Mickey. When they see that the magic does not seem to work properly, they start altering the curse and bending the rules - only to find that they are jumping from the stove to the fire !"

"So, you don't think any one in this city could run it well, do you ?" My wife asked.

"Not CY to say the least." I sighed, "The only possibility is to find a man who has absolutely no interest to run the city as such - If he could stand the temptation and do nothing, I suspect there remains a chance that everything would be back in order!"

No comments: