Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Conclusions


(My discussion with CB continued.)

“So, did you guys arrive at any conclusion?” I asked.

“Far from any,” my friend sighed, “How about yours some weeks ago?”

“Oh, we did. In fact, I’m afraid we have too many conclusions.” I put up a curious smile.

“What do you mean?”

“To me, the incident that I was asked to investigate was hopelessly simple, and the cause could be conveniently summarized into the name of one person.” I explained.

“Yes…?”

“However, after a four-hour investigation and questioning of each and every person involved, it is always possible for the chairman to find a dozen of other contributing factors and all parties seem to have a hand on the matter, directly or indirectly. As a result, the conclusion is always one full page – if not more – of single-spaced bullet points in the font Time New Roman #10. As Agatha Christie pointed out (in The ABC Murders), the best place to hide a pin is in a pin-cushion. To our friends outside the solar system, this book has become The ABC of Murders!”

No comments: