Sunday, July 29, 2012

Read

As you would expect, I read the entire Handbook as soon as I downloaded it from the web site.

My opinion?

I am sure the whole purpose of this document is to serve as a warning to all parents.

**************************
Going one step further, I actually download the full version of the Moral, Civic and National Education - Course Instruction (德育及國民教育科 - 課程指引) from the Education Bureau and read it through.

Yes, a 181-page text in itself.

"So, what do you make out of it?" After I finished with the whole volume, Vivian asked for my opinion - while preparing to join the parade with her friends.

"To be fair to our government, the document hardly says anything that could be considered brainwashing. It is quite a general description and over 80% of it is related to the cultivation of conduct and development of social responsibility," I smiled, "Nonetheless, if I were that autistic Mr. Ng, I would reject this document and fire whoever responsible for writing it."

"Why?"

"Alas, this is not an Instruction in Chinese, but an Eight-legged essay (八股文) written in Communist's Chinglish - I wonder who lives outside Castle Peak and Siu Lam (小欖) could understand what it says."

"But, you don't think it is brainwashing, do you?" My wife insisted.

"No, at least not on the face of it," I said, "I suppose the Instruction is written by Immanuel Kant after reincarnation - it is vague, non-committing, and incomprehensible in almost every aspect. And that comes once again the eternal dilemma: It could well be written by a complete idiot who could not express himself and merely tries to submit his homework by copy-and-paste and translate-by-Google without taking a second look on what he actually puts down. On the other hand, it could also have been written by an ingenious crook who carefully hides all devils between the lines of foggy description!"

No comments: