Thursday, July 12, 2012

Hours

(Our lunch time discussion went on.)

It took me quite a while to pull myself together.

“That sounds an important topic,” I cleared by throat, “although I cannot quite imagine how anyone on earth knows this topic in such a great detail that he could continue to talk about it for two hours. It probably takes no more than 40 minutes to read out that particular chapter in Harrison’s. Well, maybe your best teacher is going to talk about the specific features of lipoma over the neck, back, arms, legs, and each and every specific site of the body!”

“Maybe, I’m not sure – nor could I say I’m interested,” my colleague was obviously not amused, “The real problem for me, as the coordinator of teaching matters of my division, is, if I agree to put up two hours for lipoma, how could I cut down the hours for sebaceious cyst, freckles, and wrinkles?”

“Quite true,” I nodded, “But I must say I tend to agree with your delinquent best teacher. After all, if our curriculum assigns seven hours for the physiology of prostaglandin, it is really difficult to justify not having two hours for lipoma!”

No comments: