Monday, July 30, 2012

Opinion

No, I don’t want to discuss whether the Handbook is biased, or whether National Education is necessary. But, rather, let me take one step backward and ask a slightly more fundamental question: If we do not have the opportunity to read all those on-line materials, should we be impartial and remain silent, or should we follow some opinion leaders and take side?

As you notice, this very dilemma does not only happen in our problem of National Education, but also in the practice of clinical medicine and almost every aspects of our life. (For example, how many of you really go through all published literature before making a clinical decision?)

I do not have an easy answer.

*******************
At this moment, some of you may think of the famous quotation by Martin Niemöller:


First they came for the communists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me.


Sounds convincing, eh? 


But, without the hindsight, how could Niemöller or anyone else justify his speaking out for the communist when the Gestapo first came?

No comments: